- Boards & Committees
- Environmental Commission
The Roxbury Environmental Commission (REC) is comprised of volunteer Roxbury residents, appointed by the Mayor. The commission advises the Mayor and Council, as well as Township officials, including the Planning and Zoning Boards regarding environmental issues and actions that can affect the inhabitants and natural resources of the community.
A list of members is available by reviewing our Boards and Committees List
Thinking Globally, Acting Locally!
What the REC does:
- Works with the Township to research, compile and direct studies, including environmental resource inventories, water studies, energy audits and conservation easement inventories
- Assists with the review of development proposals and promote long-range environmental planning based on the capacity of the land and natural resources
- Teaches and informs residents about gardening, bee keeping and other environmental issues via educational programs, displays, publications and meetings
- Works with neighboring commissions and other organizations to address regional and state-wide environmental problems
- Obtains grant funding for a variety of hands-on projects. REC has been successful in obtaining ANJEC Open Space Stewardship Grants for the Roxbury Community Apiary and has won ANJEC awards for the Roxbury Community Garden, the mono-filament recycling project and Stream Clean up and Stream Monitoring projects
- Serves as mentors to the Roxbury High School Environmental Club.
- Provides community service opportunities to various groups and organizations, including being host to a variety of Eagle Scout projects.